The Joel Spishak Education Fund is a scholarship program designed to support Deaf students who are Michigan residents and are currently enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited college or university in the USA. The scholarship aims to honor the memory of Joel Michael Spishak and promote higher education among Deaf students.
Joel Spishak was born in Detroit, and his family moved to Redford Township soon after. He was deaf since birth and attended the Detroit Day School for the Deaf through the ninth grade. Upon graduation, he entered Redford Union High School, where he played on the basketball team and participated in track and cross country events. After high school, he was accepted to Eastern Michigan University and graduated with a Math degree in four years. Throughout his education, he never heard a word from his teachers. Joel went to work at Ford Motor Company in the Cost Analysis department and retired after a 34-year career. Upon retirement, he continued to pursue his interests in bowling and golfing. For decades, he served as the treasurer of the Wolverine Deaf Golf League, forming strong bonds with numerous friends. His deafness never hindered him, and as my brother, he remained a happy and accomplished individual. Education held great importance in his life, and this memorial scholarship is intended to aid deaf individuals in their pursuit of education. - Noel Spishak
To be eligible for the Joel Spishak Education Fund, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a Deaf student who is a resident of Michigan.
- Must be enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited college, community college, or university in the state of Michigan, USA.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must submit an official transcript from high school or college.
- Must provide proof of residency in Michigan.
- Must provide proof of Deafness or hearing loss.
- Must submit a personal statement explaining their academic and career goals, as well as any relevant experiences and accomplishments.
- Must provide at least one letter of recommendation from teachers, advisors, or other professionals.
To apply for the Joel Spishak Education Fund, applicants must complete the following steps:
- Complete the online application form and submit all required documents.
- Submit an official transcript from high school or college.
- Provide proof of residency in Michigan, such as a driver's license or state ID card.
- Provide proof of Deafness or hearing loss, such as a doctor's note or audiology report.
- Submit a personal statement explaining their academic and career goals, as well as any relevant experiences and accomplishments.
- Submit at least one letter of recommendation from teachers, advisors, or other professionals.
The scholarship committee will evaluate applicants based on the following criteria:
- Academic achievement and potential.
- Extracurricular activities and community involvement.
- Personal statement and letters of recommendation.
- Financial need (if applicable).
The Joel Spishak Education Fund is thrilled to provide scholarships of up to $2,500 per year. In your application, you have the flexibility to request any amount up to $2,500, tailored to your specific financial needs. Additionally, this education fund will distribute scholarships to a few students per year. This scholarship is intended to support various educational expenses, including tuition, fees, books, and other essential costs. To ensure transparency and accountability, the scholarship funds will be paid directly to an accredited college or university.
The application deadline for the Joel Spishak Education Fund is August 25, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted